Pharmaceutical drugs have dangerous side effects that can cause major damage. The all too common practice of western medicine simply providing toxic pharmacology to band aid issues has disastrous consequences. Thankfully, more and more of us are turning to more natural approaches when it comes to taking care of our health and wellness. One of the safest and most effective forms of alternative medicine is aromatherapy. Aromatherapy uses plant-based essential oils to provide the mind and body with numerous health benefits. These oils are relatively cost-effective and free of harmful side effects, and they work very quickly as the oils get absorbed through the skin and lungs.
What Is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils derived from plants for the purpose of enhancing the well-being of one's physical or psychological health. Aromatherapy has been used since ancient times as an as an alternative medicine that safely and effectively treats numerous issues.
To create essential oils, the natural oils in certain plants are extracted and distilled, resulting in an extremely concentrated product packed with healing benefits.
Aromatherapy can improve physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being while also reducing stress and anxiety. There is a wealth of valuable research on numerous essential oils as well as active components. These essential oils are able to send chemical messages to the part of the brain via smell receptors in the nose, concludes many research papers. The theory is that the mood centers in the brain may respond to the smells of essential oils by sending chemical messages along nerve pathways to the brain’s limbic system, which affects moods and emotions. Imaging studies in humans help show the effects of smells on the limbic system and its emotional pathways.
Essential oils used in aromatherapy trigger responses in the brain that send healing to the body. These oils can balance out hormone levels, heal digestive disorders, and dramatically reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Scientific studies have shown that aromatherapy is a completely legitimate form of medicine. By inhaling essential oils, nerves in the nose trigger powerful brain responses. Similarly, topical application allows these essential oils to quickly enter the bloodstream by being absorbed through skin tissue.
When selecting essential oils, it is important to look for pure and natural products. Oils that contain synthetic chemicals and dyes will not be nearly as effective.
Benefits of aromatherapy
- Improve Mood and Set a Positive Atmosphere
- Eucalyptus, Orange, jasmine, sandalwood, and vanilla essential oils have all been shown to greatly enhance mood and promote feelings of optimism.
- Grapefruit essential oil can give you an energizing boost to help you start your day.
- Rosemary essential oil not only reduces stress and enhances positive feelings, but also improves cognitive brain function. This oil is highly effective if you need to study for an exam or make a good impression at a job interview.
- Relaxation and Sleep
- Bergamot essential oil is a natural anxiety remedy. It has been shown to encourage relaxation and lower blood pressure and heart rate. Bergamot essential oil can also slow down breathing patterns that tend to elevate during moments of anxiety.
- Clary sage oil can reduce anxiety and depression significantly as well. It is a natural mild sedative that has even been shown to reduce seizures. Clary sage oil can balance hormone levels and is incredibly useful as a treatment for PMS symptoms.
- Inflammation Relief
- Tea tree oil is effective in treating acne and skin inflammation. It can reduce redness associated with inflammation as well.
- For digestive inflammation, peppermint essential oil can be highly effective. Peppermint essential oil can reduce inflammation of the intestines that results from digestive disorders.
- Rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils can reduce inflammation of the sinuses and throat associated with colds. These two oils can also open up congested airways and clear out clogged sinus passages.
- If you have dandruff or an itchy scalp, rosemary essential oil can provide itch relief and dramatically reduce irritation.
- Thyme essential oil is known for its potency as an anti-inflammatory. It's been shown to reduce respiratory inflammation when inhaled.
- Pain Relief
- Ginger, frankincense, and myrrh essential oils can provide fast relief to the muscles, joints, and tendons for arthritis pain.
- Helichrysum oil can heal damaged muscle tissue and reduce pain associated with illnesses such as fibromyalgia.
- Chamomile oil can quickly relieve pain related to the digestive system, as well as menstrual cramps. Chamomile oil is also an effective pain relief treatment for lower back and muscle pain.
- Peppermint essential oil can instantly relieve pain associated with gas when ingested. It can also relieve nausea and indigestion.
- Both lavender and rosemary essential oils have been shown to greatly reduce tension headaches and migraines. By applying these oils directly to the temples and on either side of the nose, the inhalation sends quick pain relief, as these oils are received by the brain in seconds.
- Prevent Certain Illnesses and Boost the Immune System
- Cinnamon, eucalyptus, oregano, sage, and frankincense essential oils have been shown to boost immune system function when inhaled.
- Eucalyptus, peppermint, and tea tree essential oils can greatly prevent colds by keeping your passageways clear of congestion and bacteria.
- Tea tree oil is a powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal that can prevent cuts and fungus from developing into severe infections.
- Clove essential oil has successfully boosted immune system function in patients with Lyme disease.
- A powerful antibacterial, oregano oil can be ingested to heal infections throughout the body, preventing them from developing into more serious conditions.
- Garlic essential oil is a powerful healing oil that can be ingested to fight off various fungal, viral, and bacterial infections.
- Heal Skin Irritations
- Lemongrass essential oil is an effective facial astringent, eradicating acne and significantly reducing the appearance of large pores.
- To heal cuts quickly, apply lavender essential oil to the skin directly. The antibacterial properties of lavender essential oil will hasten the healing process.
- Basil essential oil can reduce itching and irritation associated with insect bites and eczema.
- Rosemary essential oilcan reduce skin irritation on the scalp and face by working as a gentle anti-inflammatory.
- To treat sun damage, apply carrot seed essential oil to the skin. This will reduce sunburns effectively.
Please share this and feel free to comment on your favorite essential oils