Why Jumping On Trampolines is Not Just For Little Kids
Trampolines provide a combination of health and fitness benefits that no other exercise can give you. Most important of all, jumping on trampolines is fun. This has proven health benefits in itself as it generally means that you keep doing it if you are having fun.
Fun fact: In comparison to jogging, for example, trampolining is more effective with a ten minute session providing equivalent benefits to a half hour run according to NASA - “Rebound exercise is the most efficient, effective form of exercise yet devised by man.”
Besides the simple fact that trampolining is a fun activity, jumping on trampolines gives you so many benefits:
- Burn Fat - Jumping on trampolines burns a lot of calories in a short period of time.
- Increase Lymphatic Flow - The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs which help to get rid of the body toxins, waste and other unwanted materials in the body. It is the metabolic garbage can of the body. Unlike the cardiovascular system in which the heart automatically pumps blood, the lymphatic system purely relies on our body movement as a pump. Lymphatic flow relies completely on our conscious movement.
- Increase detoxification - Trampoline exercise helps to facilitate the body’s natural detoxification mechanism. Trampolining is a unique form of exercise in which a weightless state is achieved at the top of each jump and landing. It achieves twice the force of gravity on each bounce. This shift in gravity benefits every muscle and cell of the body and provides huge benefits to the lymphatic system. As blood flows in the body the lymphatic fluid leaks out of the blood vessels into the body tissues. This fluid carries food to the cells and bathes the body tissues to form tissues fluid. The fluid then collects waste products, bacteria, and damaged cells.
- Better Immune System - The lymphatic system is a vital part of the immune system. It is a defense mechanism against viruses, bacteria, diseases and infection. The lymph contains a high number of a certain type of white blood cells called lymphocytes. The lymphocytes are responsible for fighting infections in the body. It also destroys damaged or abnormal cells in the body. Rebounding causes the valves in the lymphatic system to open and close simultaneously increasing lymph flow as much as 15 times. This boosts immunity removes toxins and help slow down the aging process. It also improves the immune system by increasing the action of red bone marrow and supporting tissue repair.
- Eliminate Cellulite - Rebounding on a trampoline is like pumping your body. Pumping your body on the trampoline have some positive effects on the thyroid gland. Rebounding helps stimulate the thyroid gland to start cleaning itself and the entire lymphatic system of stored fat, also in this case the targeted fat is cellulite. Trampoline exercise is the most proven way of eliminating cellulite.
- Strengthen Skeletal System - Studies have shown that the increased G force on the bones experienced while rebounding strengthens them without attending to injuries such as shin splints and fractures. Trampoline exercise strengthens bone density which helps in prevention of conditions such as osteoporosis. Astronauts loose bone mass as a response to the decreased need for strong bones in a zero gravity environment, trampoline exercise is a weight bearing exercise that will help increase the bone mass. It strengthens joints, tendons and ligaments which may also help in reducing the chances of suffering from some forms or arthritis. Trampolining is also beneficial to those of older age because it strengthens and lengthens muscles thus improving flexibility.
- Increased Oxygen Circulation - The NASA Journal of Applied of Physiology listed interesting finding after doing a research on trampoline exercises. When comparing similar heart rates and oxygen consumption between mini trampoline exercises and running or biking outdoor, they found a significant increase in “biomechanical stimuli” with trampolining. This means that bouncing on a trampoline is more beneficial to your body that running, and it’s because of this, they now use trampoline exercises to recondition astronauts after space walk, to prevent muscle and bone degeneration.
- Increased Mitochondrial Production - Rebounding on a trampoline will automatically increase the mitochondrial count in each cell due to the extra demand for energy by the cells in the body. This will increase your available energy as well as your body’s capacity for using that energy. This means that with trampoline exercise, your metabolism is jump started and you will be losing weight long after you have finished exercising. In addition, you will also feel energetic throughout the day.
- Improved Balance and Posture
- Better Body Composition - Trampoline exercise is a quick way of building muscle and losing fat. It firms legs, thighs, abdomen, arms and hips, increases agility, and improves sense of balance. The gentle detoxification that occurs when you are rebounding encourages fat loss.
- Better Heart Health - Cardiovascular system functioning is improved by doing the cardiovascular exercises, which increase the heart rate such as running, jogging, walking, etc. The same way trampolining helps in lymphatic circulation, it also helps in blood circulation and hence improved cardiovascular system.
- Low Impact - Trampoline exercise has more health benefits and other advantages than other exercises such as running, jogging or aerobic exercises that involve high impact on a surface. Many people who jog regularly may end up with micro-trauma injuries to their heels and knees. The excess pressure is also transmitted through the hips to your spine. When trampolining, the impact is absorbed by the trampoline surface and the risk of injuring your muscle and fibers are reduced. The gravitational force measured at your ankles, back and forehead is more equally distributed when you bounce.
- Helps Prevent Cancer - Trampolining helps in improved circulation of the lymphatic fluid which help to destroy cancerous cells in the body. As the fluid collects waste products, bacteria and damaged cell, it also collects damaged cancerous cells if are present in the body and drains it in the lymphatic vessels.
Please share this blog post and feel free to comment.